Home / Adjustment of Status Lawyers

Individuals in the United States who wish to change from a non-immigrant status to an immigrant status (and apply for a Green Card) must go through a process called Adjustment of Status. At Consumer Law Group, we are proud to serve nonimmigrants and immigrant residents in West Palm Beach, FL —and are happy to help you adjust your status from one to the other.

The process can be tricky, and there are a number of requirements that applicants must meet in order to successfully change their status. However, our skilled team of lawyers serving West Palm Beach are happy to help you along the way.

  • Affordable cost: We know that the immigration process can be expensive—that’s why we prioritize offering rates that are reasonable and affordable. Don’t let Adjustment of Status lawyer costs stop you from getting the support, advice, and representation you deserve.
  • Bilingual service: Many communities seeking Adjustment of Status lawyers in West Palm Beach communicate primarily in Spanish, which is why we are proud to offer bilingual immigration lawyer services in both English and Spanish.
  • Real-world experience: Our lawyers have seen it all, and we’re excited to bring our real-world experience to your case.

CALL US TODAY AT (561) 557-0007

Visa Lawyers

Consumer Law Group’s team of immigration and visa attorneys servicing West Palm Beach have experience with a number of visas. Whether you need help acquiring K-1 Visas, TN Visas, or H-1B Visas, our visa lawyers can help.

Immigration Services

Consumer Law Group also has a team of trained immigration lawyers serving West Palm Beach. Find the right lawyer for your case, whether you’re pursuing an Adjustment of Status, applying for a Green Card, or are embarking on the path to citizenship.


You’re Not Alone. Call Upon Our Experienced Immigration Attorneys for Help Now.


Adjustments of Status is available to people who have met the following criteria:

  • Inspected and admitted or paroled into the United States
  • Properly filed an Adjustment of Status application
  • Is physically present in the United States
  • Eligible to receive an immigrant visa
  • Must be available when filing the application and at the time of final adjudication
  • Admissible to the U.S. for lawful permanent residence

If you’re not sure whether you’re eligible, be sure to speak with an Adjustment of Status immigration lawyer serving FL to better understand your case.

If you’re not sure whether you are eligible for Adjustment of Status, but you are eligible for a Green Card, it’s possible to use consular processing to obtain the necessary documentation and become a resident. This might be a confusing process, and it’s always wise to have an experienced Adjustment of Status immigration lawyer on your side when you go through it.

When you’re ready to apply for an Adjustment of Status, you should use Form I-485. Once it’s properly filled out, it must be submitted to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, or USCIS. An Adjustment of Status immigration lawyer can help you with filling out and filing your Form I-485 if you are unsure how to complete the process by yourself.

During the Adjustment of Status interview, an immigration officer will ask you a series of questions lasting about 20 minutes. The interview is not due to a problem with your Adjustment of Status application; it’s a normal part of the application process.

At the interview, you will be asked questions regarding the forms you used in your application. These questions will verify aspects of your identity, such as your address and current visa status. Additionally, you may be asked questions to confirm that you are still eligible for an Adjustment of Status. For instance, if you have recently committed a serious crime, you may no longer be eligible for an Adjustment of Status. If you seek an Adjustment of Status due to an employment situation, you may also be asked questions about this, including questions about your employer, your qualifications, and related information.

In most cases, you will not need another medical exam if you have already obtained a K-1 fiancé or fiancée visa.

Yes. As of 2010, Congress repealed laws preventing HIV positive individuals from obtaining Green Cards. Having an HIV positive diagnosis is no longer a bar to those seeking permanent residence.

You may petition to bring your children to the United States if you are a permanent resident. USCIS distinguishes between children, unmarried individuals who are under 21 years of age, and sons and daughters, who are unmarried individuals 21 years of age or older.

Permanent residents may petition to bring children and sons and daughters into the U.S. Bear in mind that the specific requirements can differ based on the parent/child relationship. For instance, step-parents and adoptive parents may have to provide more information proving their relationship to the child than biological parents do.

If you are married for less than two years and have moved to the United States as the spouse of a permanent resident, your permanent residence remains conditional until you have proven that you did not enter into the marriage to avoid United States immigration law. Once this has been proven, the conditions on your permanent residency are removed.

Green Cards, which allow permanent residency in the United States, are valid for up to 10 years. If you were granted conditional permanent resident status, your Green Card is valid for only 2 years.
After the appropriate duration of time has passed, you will be required to renew your Green Card in order to remain legally in the United States. If you are concerned about your eligibility, speaking with a Green Card lawyer can help.

Not all Adjustment of Status petitions are approved. If yours was denied, it could be discouraging and confusing. Unfortunately, there is no process in place to appeal a denial. However, you can reapply for a Green Card following the usual protocols.

If you are unsure why your Adjustment of Status was denied, it can be helpful to work with an immigration lawyer on your next Green Card application. Depending on your specific circumstances, such as the status of your visa, you may or may not be permitted to continue living in the United States. An experienced immigration lawyer or deportation lawyer serving West Palm Beach can help you to ensure that your application is as strong as possible and that you get the hearing you deserve.

It typically takes up to 90 days to receive a Green Card after applying for one. That’s why it’s important to apply for a Green Card or Adjustment of Status with plenty of time to spare before your visa expires. If you’re in the country illegally before your permanent residency application is approved, this could create problems.

You might be asking yourself, “do I need a lawyer for Adjustment of Status?” While technically the process can be completed on your own, it’s good to remember that, no matter what stage of the immigration process you’re in, it’s smart to work with experienced professionals who can help you make the best possible immigration case. Consumer Law Group is committed to helping our clients get the hearing they deserve, so your immigration process goes smoothly with minimal Adjustment of Status lawyer fees.